Most of my clients ask me in regards to the big square box in the center portion of the house’s upper floor ceiling behind a pair of self-closing louvers. It’s a huge house fan also it can either benefit property owners or make living conditions worse.
* Preferably mild climates with cooler and much less humid nights
* Utilize it if only the temperature and humidity outside is a lot more favorable in comparison to the conditions indoors. Should your air-con system has been operating in the daytime, as well as the temperature outside drops lower (but the humidity remains to be high), don’t turn the click to read more. The vent will suck each of the humid air into the air conditioned house
* The perfect time periods to work with it would be, obviously, early morning and evening
Should you suffer from allergies, it might not be a smart idea to bring every one of the pollution in the house. The window screens will stop several of it, but whole house fans are very powerful and will make you sneeze more than ever before.
1. Prior to turn the fan on, open several windows and doors as is possible, close fireplace damper and / or glass door, and shut the furnace / hot water heater room doors (should they be louver type, it won’t matter). The suction of the whole house fan (a minimum of on the highest speed) is really great, that without open windows / doors, it will draw air externally through any possible openings like, for instance, in the chimney. When it is a fireplace chimney and you don’t eliminate the ashes… well, it’s likely to be a mess. When it is a water heater / furnace chimney, it could blow away from the pilots.
2. When things are ready, you can start up the entire house fan and often throughout the next couple of seconds you need to feel a lot of exterior air flowing throughout the house. Unless…
3. This part is equally important as opening the windows and doors – both must be balanced to function properly so that you can really enjoy the whole house fan operation. The environment drawn by the whole house fan has to be discharged with the attic vents to the exterior. Otherwise, pressure created inside the attic area may cause air which had been just pulled from the house to return with dust and insulation particles through any possible gaps in the attic wh0le and the whole house fan itself.
Regular attic ventilation will not be enough to support the http://tumblr.com operation; you will need considerably more to handle everything extra volume of air for the exterior. As well as the formula to calculate the sq footage from the attic vents expected to discharge that air is simple. You only need the size of your entire rooms:
Example: your ceilings are 8′ high and you will have four 10′ x 14′ rooms, one 15′ x 17′ room, along with a 10′ x 3′ hallway (this is just a sample, calculate each of the rooms in your own home you imagine needs to be covered)
10’x14’x8′ = 1120×4 = 4480
15’x17’x8′ = 2040
10’x3′ = 30
Total – 6550 cubic feet
Now you have to divide 6550 by 750, which equals 8.73 sq feet – this is basically the part of the required attic vents (these combined – soffit, ridge, gable, etc.)
4. In case the house you’re stepping into offers the whole house fan already installed, lets hope that it was properly sized up because of its purpose (there might be a tag in the unit itself), which is to replace your residence air within only a few minutes.
5. If you’re the one installing the complete house fan, consider 3 or 4 minutes for an optimal time for that house air exchange. To achieve that, you’d must divide your home total air volume (6550 cubic feet from our sample) by 3 or 4 minutes. Which will give us 1810 CFM / 1357.5 CFM (Cubic Feet a minute).
6. An additional critical thing: louvers of the find more usually are not air tight and have no insulation placed onto their surface; they leak air involving the house and attic. I would strongly recommend installing an entire house fan cover in attic area to prevent air drafts in the cold season – don’t forget to get rid of it before you decide to make use of the fan again.
Whole house fans are noisy and several people never rely on them, however they might benefit your wallet in the event you apply all of the above. You can find currently other types of house ventilation systems available: they are more expensive (2 – 3 times) but very quiet, more efficient, and give air flow for extended amounts of time.